My July 2014 Ipsy Glam Bag has arrived. I love checking the mail every month and finding the familiar bright, metallic pink envelope full of beauty goodies in my box. And of course, I have to share my thoughts with you!
As I did last month, I’m going to review the quality and value of each item and give each item a “product grade” based solely on my opinion and personal experience with them. (If you aren’t already subscribing to Ipsy, click my referral link to sign up… plus I’ll get some Ipsy points!)
Check out my unboxing video below, and then continue reading to see how I feel about each item now that I’ve spent a little bit of time playing with them!
But first things first… The Bag:
As you know, one of my favorite things about Ipsy is the free cosmetic bag I get each month. Despite what my husband thinks, I can never have too many bags. This month’s theme was “Sensationally Sunkissed” and the bright pink bag fit the theme, and my personality well.
Now, let’s look at what came in this month’s bag…
1. bareMinerals 5-in-1 BB Advanced Performance Cream Eyeshadow
What It Is: bareMinerals 5-in-1 BB Advanced Performance Cream Eyeshadow (.03 ounce sample size) in Divine Wine
My Thoughts: I’ve had somewhat of an up-and-down relationship with bareMinerals over the last few years. I feel some of their formulas have changed (not for the better), and some of their product launches have left me extremely disappointed. Still, there are some bareMineral products that I can’t live without like their Warmth All-Over Face Color and my go-to daily wear foundation, bareMinerals Original SPF 15 Foundation in Fairly Light.
With that said, you can probably tell I was excited to see this little sample in my bag. I immediately wanted to try it out and here’s what I can tell you so far…
- The color (Divine Wine) is a great daytime shade for my crease. I would have preferred getting another color, but I can’t really complain too much.
- The cream shadow goes on very smooth, and doesn’t seem to flake.
- Since it’s a cream and dries fairly quickly, you have to work with it very fast.
- And since it does dry so fast, I’m fairly certain it’s going to stay in place for quite some time, making it one hell of a long-wear eyeshadow! In fact, when I did a swatch of it on my hand, I ended up washing my hands five times with soap and water before it came all the way off… It definitely has some serious staying power.
- My Product Grade: A-
2. Tints & Sass Lip Stain by Elizabeth Mott (Cherry)
What It Is: Tints & Sass Lip Stain by Elizabeth Mott in Cherry is a long-lasting, lightweight cheek & lip stain
My Thoughts: This was probably the thing I was most excited about receiving in my glam bag this month, and I was really happy to see they sent a full-size of this! I tried it out right away. Some of my favorite things are:
- The color: This color was perfect for me. I always love a good red lipstick, and for days when I just need some color on my lips, but don’t want to take the time to apply my lipstick so it lasts all-day/night long, I love a good lip stain.
- The applicator!!!! I was so happy to see this applicator wasn’t a brush, and didn’t tickle my lips like crazy.
- The smell: It really smells sooo yummy… just like cherries!
- It definitely stays put all day long. This was the first product I tried in my bag and by bedtime, it was still going strong.
I’ll be writing more about this product since it is one of my favorites, so be sure to check back for that product review.
- My Product Grade: A+
3. Clear Clinic Laboratories Vanished Clear Spot Treatment
What It Is: Clear Clinic Laboratories Vanished Clear Spot Treatment (2 ml sample size) is an “on-the-go clear spot treatment formulated with menthol, glycolic acid and salicylic acid”.
Value: $9.33 (The full size of this product is $35)
My Thoughts: Well, as soon as I tried to open the sample, the top broke and product went everywhere. Soooo… that sucked. I was actually looking forward to trying this product, and tried to use what was left, but the broken top made it difficult to remove the applicator, and it ended up in the trash. Since the non-sample size comes with a metal top (instead of the plastic one on the sample), I’m sure this won’t be a problem for people using the full-size product. Still, I was pretty disappointed that my sample broke, which is reflected in my product grade.
- My Product Grade: F (I mean… I didn’t even get to try it, so maybe the F isn’t fair, but I’m just bummed it broke).
4. Nailtini Straight Up Color Nail Lacquer (Mango Rita)
What It Is: Nailtini Straight Up Color Nail Lacquer in Mango Rita is a creamy mango nail color with hints of gold shimmer and a satin finish.
My Thoughts: My initial thoughts were that this color was going to be a sheer color (and I’m not a fan of sheer polishes). Lucky for me, the color is actually totally opaque after two coats. This color isn’t one I would make a routine color since it doesn’t really work with my skin tone and personal taste. However, I’m sure it will be put into rotation when I’m trying new nail art designs. Plus, I am happy to be introduced to this line of nail polish!
The one thing I didn’t love about this product is the nail polish brush had a few stray hairs. I polished my thumb nail for the above photo with this color, and the stray hairs made it difficult to apply the polish to my nail, and not get it all over my finger/cuticle. I took a photo so you could see just what I was talking about:
- My Product Grade: B+
5. Hang Ten Dark Tanning Oil with SPF 8
What It Is: Hang Ten Dark Tanning Oil with SPF 8 is an organic dark tanning oil that is rich in vitamins, antioxidants and exotic plant extracts.
My Thoughts: Of course the first thing I did was smell it, and it smells just as I would expect. It has a coconut-rich scent that just takes me straight to the beach. I typically use much higher SPF than just SPF 8, but I’ll probably give this a try, just to see how it feels. I do use Hang Ten’s SPF 50 Sunscreen on my face and hands quite often, and I really like that product. So, I’m excited to see how I like this tanning oil.
- My Product Grade: B+
So, do you have a favorite beauty subscription service? Do you subscribe to ipsy? If so, what came in YOUR glam bag for July? What did you think of it? Tell me in the comment section below!